How to Unclog a Kitchen Sink
Unclogging the kitchen sink is somehow troublesome especially for those who do not have much time to take care of their sink. Regardless of how careful you are, once in a while you will come across problems like draining the kitchen sink and it may be stuck up for some time unless the drain is taken off or until it’s dissolved. Unclog kitchen sink is truly irritating especially if there is a pile of dishes that must be washed. You don’t have to worry because you can either use a chemical product to dissolve the stuff that causes the clog and there are also methods that can be very useful and helpful to you along the way.
The steps in unclogging the kitchen sink
- You can boil some water and then pour the hot water in the drain. This often works if the drain is filled with grease. You can also add some vinegar along with baking soda to ease the clog. The mixture will start to froth as soon as these ingredients mixed up and it can also help you in breaking up the particles that caused the clogs.
- You must get a plunger which is bigger than the mouth to just cover the drain hole & then have some petroleum jelly rubbed over the rim just to get the seal when you plunge the drain. You have to run the water into the sink until it all covered the plunger cup & then plug up the other side of the sink using a cloth. You can press the plunger down through the drain hole and then pump as hard as you can few times. If you cannot do that on your own, you may need some help from someone just to hold the cloth in the other side of the sink so you can keep suctioning while you are also plunging. In a lot of cases, the clog will surely clear up in no time.
- You can also buy a chemical cleaner for the drain. You can follow some simple instructions at the back of the bottle. You have to always make sure that the gloves that you will use have enough room before you use any kind of chemicals.
- Make sure you avoid using the plunger when you use chemicals in the drain to avoid water splashing that may hurt yourself and other nearby members of the family.
- Make sure you use a plumber’s snake to do the unclogging process in the sink drain. This is a method that is most effective in unclogging the sink. This device is a long coiled wire that is just attached to a crank. By slowly moving the snake to the drain the clog will break up.
Kitchen sinks usually clog up in the most inconvenient time of the day. Because homeowners do not expect this to happen, they do not have any materials on hand to solve the problem. Before you call for help, you can try the given instructions since they usually work well on simple sink clogging.