Ways to Make the Kitchen Cozy with Rustic Kitchen Cabinets
A lot of homemakers today started to embrace the idea of knotty woods and worn out look for their kitchen cabinets, though it may truly be exciting and fun to make the rustic looking kitchen cabinets idea achieved, it may cost you lost of money. If you are really dying to get the rustic look for your kitchen, but you don’t want to spend huge amount of cash there is something that you can still do to transform the present cabinets you have and turn them into kitchen cabinets. You can distressed them or stain them to make them look rustic.
A lot of homemakers prefer the idea of having a rustic kitchen theme especially with their cabinets because it’s not just inviting but it is also cozy. The ambience is perfect for a small get together with family members and friends too.
The effect that the rustic color can help in blending modern technology with the country furnishing & classic intricacy, the color scheme will play a big part in the achieving the rustic look in the kitchen. The key is to experiment in bold white while you keep the classic rusty look.
- First thing that you need to do is to remove the doors, the hinges along with the hardware from the kitchen cabinets and then set them aside.
- Wash the doors & the cabinets too using soap & water. You have to work using a clean area when you sand and stain the kitchen cabinets so you must take time to eradicate all the grimes and greases in the kitchen.
- Sand the cabinets using a big grit sandpaper and then eradicate the former polyurethane finish & then stain. Sand again using grit sandpaper with a smaller size this time.
- Smash the cabinet with chains with doors and then scratch them using a nail. This is just to make a distressed looking cabinet but you shouldn’t overdo this because it may also cause damage to the cabinet. The appeal should just look simple and rustic not over damaged.
- You also need to put on some stain using a paint brush or a relic remnant. You have to make sure that the stains always gets into the cracks & the gaps of the doors & the cabinets are into the dents and holes while you go through the distressing procedure.
- You have to enable the stain to sit in there for around 10 minutes and then you have to wipe it off using a clean cloth or rag. You must always allow the doors to completely dry.
- Applying polyurethane finish can be done using a paint brush. You should also allow the finish to dry up before you put on the 2nd coat for additional protection. You have to let the finish dries up even before you hang the doors with their respective cabinets.
Achieving the rustic look of the kitchen is not so hard to do because you can start with the cabinets.
Here are some rustic kitchen cabinets image (click for larger version) :